Taking inspiration from women’s movements of the 1970s we intend to organise our activity around a Charter for Women in Education. We’ve begun to draw up this list of demands and ideas and will seek to develop it, alongside women’s groups, in the coming months. We hope that the Charter can be a tool to make links between women’s groups; share ideas and skills; and support women activists to organise our fightback.
We want the charter to reflect the ideas and experiences of as many women as possible so please help us develop it!
• Organise a meeting of your women’s group to discuss the draft charter – send your ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org or comment below to spark discussion.
• Invite us to visit you! We have women’s committee members all over the UK so why not invite one of us to your women’s group to discuss the situation facing women in education; how we can build NCAFC Women; the charter; and organising our fightback?
Charter for Women in Education – some ideas
• A commitment to support all those fighting sex and gender discrimination in our universities, schools and colleges.
• Fight the funding cuts, which will disproportionately affect subjects where women are concentrated. Fight for publicly owned universities with decent funding.
• Free education and a living grant for every student to eliminate student debt.
• Support workers’ fight to depend they pay, conditions and pensions – women will lose out worst from the Tory attacks.
• Defend and extend university and student union childcare provision.
• Defend sex education against the Tories’ reactionary moralistic agenda. Fight the religious take over of parts of our school system. Defend and extend sexual health and reproductive rights services on campus.
• Fight for safety on campus – for decent lighting and transport, stop the cuts to campus support workers.
• Eliminate poverty pay – a living wage for all workers on our campuses.
• A serious fight to make equal pay a reality in our universities and colleges.
• A woman’s place is in her union – no to sexism in our student unions. Campaign for a women’s officer and a full-range of liberation officers in every SU. Fight to scrap men’s officers wherever they exist.
• For a campaigning women’s group on every campus